Monday, June 8, 2009

Today is really beautiful...it's about 70 and the sky is a brilliant blue. There is a beautiful breeze blowing air full of a wonderful freshness that I so love.  My windows are open wide...it is like bathing my living space in a way that money and elbow grease, however good, cannot match.  I worked both yesterday and today.  It is such a wonder sharing these moments from so many different people that live, work or visit this urban community store.  Yesterday was Dorchester Day and everyone was wishing everyone a "Happy Dorchester Day" or planning strategies to avoid the traffic and crowds.  Some either didn't know it was happening or forgot and were so grateful for the reminder.  There is a big parade each year on this day and they close down all of Dorchester Avenue.  As I learned one year, if you are not part of the day then you certainly don't want to get caught in it...which is to say you don't want to be on the side of "Dot" Ave. that isn't the side you live on or it will take you hours to get home.  

This morning our Governor stopped in to pick up some odds and ends.  He has been in other times too and seems like a very nice man ... positive energy, which is how I sense people.  I didn't quiz him this morning about the budget or the corruption but instead, we just had some pleasant conversation.  Other folks came in as the morning progressed...we have a large elderly population that lives within walking distance and they visit often.  I imagine the people who come to this store are like a microcosm of our country.  I am impressed with their stamina, determination and attitude in general ... from the very young to the very old they are so responsive to a "good morning" or "I hope your day goes well".  They share so much in these moments at the register...I feel blessed, honored and enriched for the interactions.  Perhaps the best way to share what I mean is to write about an interaction with two customers three weeks ago.

The first was a white man...he had come in before but this morning he just didn't feel right to me...his energy seemed heavy...sad.  I asked how he was doing and, at first he said fine.  As the transaction continued his energy just seemed to get heavier and heavier and I said that I hoped everything was okay.  He looked at me and said that his wife had just died from cancer two days ago...they didn't expect it...she was doing so well.  We talked and even touched each others hands.  When he left he thanked me and I wished him support and healing.  We both had tears in our eyes.

Two customers later a black man walked up to the register.  He had a big smile and enough cleaning supplies to clean a castle.  His energy was excited...happy...expecting and I said "wow, looks like you got some work ahead of you."  He laughed out loud and said "Yea...I am planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me this weekend and I want everything to be perfect".  I melted...it was so sweet...I don't think I every quite pictured a guy cleaning up his place in order to ask his girlfriend to marry him.  We laughed and again, touched hands.  As he left I said that I couldn't imagine her saying anything but yes and wished him much happiness, health and peace.  He thanked me for asking and left saying how he had to get to work!

For a brief moment there were no customers and I thought...that is it...that is why I enjoy this job so much...right here before me...each morning that I am here...the whole cycle of life is presented and I have the honor and privilege not only to witness it but, when allowed, participate in it as well.  The pay, management and corporation may, to be nice, leave things to be desired...but the people...oh the people... in their woundedness...and in their joy... and in their everything in between...keep teaching me each day lessons I didn't even know I needed to learn.     

No comments:

Post a Comment